Cold and allergy symptoms tend to be similar and so it can sometimes be difficult to determine what is causing the problem. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention claims that adults, on average, have two to three colds a year. Children will likely have more than two. There is a reason that colds are referred to as common. Just as most adults and children get sick, many American are prone to suffering from allergies. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America estimate that 50 million people in the USA struggle with allergies. Although symptoms between a cold and allergies are similar, they are both different.
Both allergy and cold symptoms affect respiratory functions. The most commonly shared problems are:
- Running nose
- Post-nasal drip
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion
Asking yourself or a loved one specific questions can help to narrow down what is causing symptoms. An allergist in Marlton, PA is the best option for determining if you suffer from allergies. Asking these questions can help give you a rough idea of your situation.
- How quickly do your symptoms appear? A cold will build over two or three days, whereas allergies can flare up at any moment.
- How long have you been suffering? An untreated cold can last up to two weeks, whereas allergies can last entire seasons—potentially year-round.
- Do symptoms occur at the same time of year? Seasonal allergies tend to be consistent throughout the years with when symptoms appear.
- Are your eyes itchy or watery? These symptoms are more consistent with allergies than with the cold.
Allergist Willow Grove, PA
For more information on allergy symptoms and what you are allergic to, visit our allergy doctors in Willow Grove, PA
- Allergist At Willow Grove, PA
Life is better with pets, and your allergies don’t have to get in the way of that. Identifying your triggers and minimalizing your exposure to them can reduce allergy symptoms as well as stress for both you and your pets. If you live in Willow Grove or Marlton, PA, come give our allergists a visit for an allergy consultation.
- Prevent Pet Allergist In Willow Grove PA
- Living With Winter Allergies In Willow Grove, PA
- Common Questions About Allergist In Willow Grove, PA